Casino fees to benefit New York counties

New York SkylineNew York state officials say 22 counties will benefit from $30 million in casino license fees.

The 2013 legislation that allowed Las Vegas-style casinos to be built in upstate New York state requires localities to receive the payments. Casinos are now under construction in the Catskills, the Finger Lakes and Schenectady, according to an Associated Press report.

The casinos owed $151 million in license fees, with 80 percent earmarked for school aid and property tax relief statewide. The remaining 20 percent goes to counties in the casino regions and to host municipalities.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the money will help counties and local governments provide services and reduce tax burdens.

Phil Hevener has been writing about the Nevada gaming business for more than 30 years. Email: 

new york casinos New York Casino News New York Casino industry Casino industry Casino Industry News Casino License Fees Casino Licensing New York Casino Legislation Andrew Cuomo



Categories: Berita