Las Vegas Sands officials are cautiously optimistic as they wait to see how many gaming tables the Macau government will allow at the company’s Parisian resort, which is due to open late in the summer.
The uncertainty about rules and table numbers has produced a frustrating series of white knuckle moments for Macau operators as they look for the clarity that is slow in coming.
“I think we’ve been respectful and will wait for the government’s guidance,” LVS Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldstein said Wednesday during a discussion of the company’s first quarter performance with financial analysts.
“We’re hoping we’re treated fairly,” Goldstein said in response to a question about the anticipated number of table games that will be allocated to the Parisian. “Whatever the decision is, we’ll embrace it and hope we get the best treatment we can get. I don’t know if it is 2 50 tables or 10,000 tables.
“But whatever the decision is, we’ll embrace it and hope we get the best treatment we can get”
Macau officials have previously said that the number of gaming tables for new resorts would be determined in part by how well companies respond to the government’s mandate that non-gaming facilities and amenities should be emphasized by the six concessionaires operating casinos.
Goldstein had this point in mind as he spoke of the decisions made by LVS CEO Sheldon Adelson who has been a “visionary and a guy who plunges and puts his money where his mouth is.”
Phil Hevener has been writing about the Nevada gaming business for more than 30 years. Email: .